Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Memorial Quilt: Men's Cotton Shirt Quilt

This is a quilt made for a family whom lost their father. Their father loved to wear bright colorful shirts.


I don't often see patchwork patterns that I immediately want to make but when I saw this pattern called Simply Woven by Jessica Kelly - I knew that it would make an amazing quilt from recycled materials. I made my quilt a little larger (it is probably around a king sized quilt) - I had so many shirts I didn't want to waste them!


I also added a border to my quilt as the family have more traditional tastes and I think formal borders always make things seem a bit more traditional in style.




I used my mix and match all over technique for the filler pattern. And a simple feather border ...


... my feather corners are getting better.



The mix and match design blends really well on the front of the quilt ...

 
... it is the back clearly shows all the detail.






I tried to mimic a little bit of the woven element on the back too.


And in case you don't believe this is made from men's cotton shirts - there are little bits on the front to remind you.




6 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Another fantastic memory quilt Rachael! You're amazing -- I don't know how you find the time to do so many of them!

driftwood said...

truly gorgeous, I love the weave design and your quilting is beautiful x

Janie Lang said...

I love this pattern,great choice for all those shirts! Great job!!

Unknown said...

Thank you ladies - it was a lovely quilt - really joyful and a celebration of the man's life. I forgot to mention in the post that I used a cotton batting & a wool batting together - so the heft/weight/drape of the quilt was divine too.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful job once again.

Claudia/Ompompali said...

Marvelous quilt - really beautiful!