Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Baby Welcome Blankets

I have started a quilting group at my local church. Our aim is to make a little quilt for each new little baby that is christened at the church. I'm looking forward to using some of my scraps up and being able to practice my free motion quilting too.




This is one of two identical quilts. The material was given to me by a congregation member. It was actually purchased as upholstery material but once I had given it a hot wash and tumble dry it was soft and delicious. There is a really pretty cream flower design embroidered on the top of the fabric. I embroidered around the design in a creamy tan thread - it makes the embroidery stand out a little more. This is what the back of the quilts look like.


And the front.


Once I had cut two baby quilts out of the quilted fabric I had a little strip left over. Just perfect for making a little doll sleeping bag for the family who donated the fabric.


I'd be smiling too if I had a sleeping bag like this.

I'm feeling that this project will only be a good thing, good for the families and new babies in our community, good for the church and great for helping me improve my free motion quilting skills (is that terribly selfish?)

No comments: