Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Short (and Fluffy) Tale of Courage

What is that furry ball of fluff in the tree? It seems to be shaking with fear ....
Me: What is the matter furry one?

Fluff Ball: I am scared of the world and unsure of myself.

Me: Well the world can be a scary place sometimes but you shouldn't let that hold you back. You should be out playing in the garden rather than hiding up a tree. Why are you unsure of yourself?

Fluff Ball: I am not sure if I am a strange rabbit as I have large feet - or a teddy bear because I am so soft and cuddly - or a lion because of my soft chocolate mane.
Me: Well I don't think you are a rabbit because you don't have a big fluffy tail or big ears. And I don't think you are a teddy bear because you have a soft chocolate mane. So you must be a very fluffy and cuddly lion.

Fluffy Lion: I don't feel like a lion at all - I still feel rather scared.

At which point I ran to the sewing machine to make a present for this rather nervous lion and I told him about a young girl called Dorothy who also met a rather scared and cuddly lion and she took him to a special place where he found courage. The lion knew that he had found courage because he was given a shiny medal!

Me: Would you like this medal of courage? Perhaps it will make you feel braver? and then you can enjoy the garden rather than hiding in a tree.
Fluffy Lion: Thank you - that is so kind. Oh look at the medal - how it sits on my soft furry chest. I feel very special and very brave.
So the brave (and very furry) lion lounged in the garden (rather than hiding in a tree) letting out the odd soft and happy growl.
I vow never to use 'fun fur' again ;-) (Although he is far cuter than the pictures convey ... so never say never!)

12 comments:

Kitty said...

Hi Rachael - first of all, thank you for dropping by my blog, and the kind comment. Secondly, gosh you have a lot of lovely craftiness happening here. I've had a lovely time reading. I especially love that felted rabbit (and carrot) - amazing.

Hope you don't mind if I come back again?

Take care :-)

rachelmp said...

Just so sweet Rachael! I had a good smile at him..

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

The Lion is adorable - love his badge of courage!

pink-petal-designs said...

whooooo, hes FAB love him !!
SARAH X

Sarah said...

He is adorable and I love his medal. I am glad he came out from hiding. He's so cute he may be worth tackling fun fur again!

LizzieJane said...

He looks so soft and cuddly and just waiting for a cuddle from a little one, he is just lovely!

periwinkle said...

He is just so cute and I love his courage badge. Thank you for the encouragement
Lisa x

Louise said...

I am so pleased the lion was courageous enough to come and say hello. x

Simone said...

Fluff ball is so cute and well worth all the time and effort you clearly put into making him.

Anonymous said...

Adorable!

Anonymous said...

This is one king of the jungle who I could happily snuggle with. He is fantastic. The medal is such a great idea and so well done! Jen

Bumpkin Hill said...

oh i think your fluff ball is gorgeous and the story was sooo cute, he was worth not giving up on :)