Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Quilt: Fallen Soldier Quilt

I finished the quilt from the soldiers uniform.



There is so much I want to say about this project. But I'm finding it hard to get the words out.

 

The quilt fits a full or queen bed. I made a label for the back which I framed with the camouflage material and decorated with the uniform buttons - I am not showing this label the information seemed too personal. I also made a little fairy for the daughter. 



I put a lot of effort into the details. Matching my seams, free motion quilting and some fancy corners. 



I really hope that the family enjoys the quilt. I feel truly honored to have been able to do this project for them. 


***********

Please do not forget about the charity I Spy quilt - we are still looking for scrap fabric donations. 

11 comments:

Sue said...

It's gorgeous and so special. I know the family will treasure it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely.

Playfull Genie said...

This made me cry (my only son is a serving NCO in the British Army) - what a beautiful, heartfelt project to work on. I am sure the family will treasure this always. The detail on the angel doll is incredible. Congratulations on such a wonderful piece of heritage - treasured memories indeed.

Unknown said...

I have tears in my eyes so apologies for any typos. These are all so lovely. Bless your heart.x

liniecat said...

what an utterly delightful thing to have made and what a truly meaningful practical memory for the family to treasure.

Gertie said...

Hi there. I found your blog via craftgossip quilting and you have made me cry !!!!

What a truly beautiful quilt which they can treasure forever.

The little dolly will always remind his precious daughter how special her beloved daddy was.

Anonymous said...

This is just simply beautiful.

Teri

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It means an awful lot to me. It was an amazing project to be apart of - it was quite emotional and daunting too. I like your recent quilt restoration project - I'm very passionate about recycling fabric - that is a great project. You also have a great sense of humor which is apparent in your posts! I do hope you will visit Rachael Rabbit again soon. Yours truly, Rachael

Unknown said...

Gertie - Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. It means an awful lot to me. It was an amazing project to be apart of - it was quite emotional and daunting too! I see you are quite an accomplished knitter (I myself am an addict to cables!) I miss the UK a lot. I've been in New York for nearly 10 years now. I hope you will visit me again in the future. Yours truly, Rachael

Unknown said...

It is projects like this that make me feel like what I do (outside of raising the kids) is meaningful & worthwhile. I hope to have the honor of making more memorial quilts in the future. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your comment. It means a lot to me - and I am happy that this project touched you as it did me. Yours truly, Rachael

Unknown said...

I hope to have the honor of making more memorial quilts in the future. I really appreciate you taking the time to write your comment. Yours truly, Rachael