Thursday, May 9, 2013

Easy Silk Scarf Dyeing with Tissue Paper

Mother's Day is coming and we have been thinking about things we could make for Grandma. With our recent success in dyeing play silks I decided to take the success of our tissue paper dyed play silk and decorate a silk scarf for Grandma with tissue paper pieces.


I had one white silk scarf left. A pile of tissue paper (some new, some recycled) and two paper punches. The white one is Martha Stewart butterfly punch and the black one is an EK slim flower paper punch

Once we had punched all our shapes we collected the tissue paper pieces in a bowl we prepared our silk. The silk is soaked in water and a glug of vinegar. I laid the silk out as flat as I could on the floor on top of a large black plastic bag - for photographic purposes I wish I had thought of something a bit more aesthetically pleasing!

 

We began placing the tissue paper shapes. Flowers in the corner and butterflies all over the rest of the scarf.
 


It didn't matter if the tissue paper pieces were not put on perfectly the wet scarf helped them stick. 


 

It was such a kid friendly and easy activity for my 4 year old.

Once all the tissue paper shapes were put on our scarf we left the tissue paper to do its magic. 


After 1.5 hrs I took the wet tissue paper off the scarf, rinsed the scarf on a 20min cold machine cycle and then dried the scarf on our highest setting in the tumble dryer. 

Where two pieces of tissue paper landed together the colors and shapes are cute. 


The scarf is quite pretty. Some of the tissue paper dye did bleed a little - but as there is no strict pattern - I'm hoping it adds charm and movement to our little handmade gift. 


Wishing you all a very happy Mother's Day this weekend. 

12 comments:

dottycookie said...

Rachael, you're a genius. I LOVE this.

DonnaRae said...

this is awesome. Have you washed this. Wonder how it washed up.

Doris said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial (and the previous one). It's something I hope to try soon.

Unknown said...

DonnaRae - Yes I washed the silk in a 20 minute cold cycle before drying the scarf in a tumble dryer on its hottest setting.

Joy said...

I love this idea. Had no idea it could be done. Thanks for sharing.

sara said...

It is beautiful.

PinkStripeySocks said...

Wow! Creative and adorable. Thanks for sharing!

Craftysquirrel said...

Clever , am going to try this with my 6 yr old - thanks.

Sue said...

Pretty! I'd like to try something like that but my list of projects is growing much too long.

Unknown said...

Want to do this with my great niece, but where do I get a white silk scarf? Linda

Unknown said...

Does it have to be silk?

Unknown said...

Yes Marina - it does need to be silk as other materials will not absorb the ink/dye as well - if at all.