Monday, July 28, 2008

Getting All My Ducks in a Row .....

During my visit home at Christmas last year my mother and I visited this really cool thrift shop where you can find hard back craft books for 50p ... one of the things I pounced on was this book of Beatrix Potter knitting patterns ...
... the designs are very dated and I really purchased it for bunny themed knitting ideas - but flicking through it the other day I found a pattern for Jemima Puddle Duck ... a baby blanket with duckies I thought - that would be sweet. Jemima, I decided, was more goose like than a duck so I changed the pattern to this ...
I used some of the wool given to me by Auntie Chris (it is amazing how much I have already used!) and it took a while to get the blanket correct as I discovered that designing shapes or pictures in a knitting pattern is not that simple!
I must have knitted and unravelled at least 15 times ... but finally I got all my ducks in a row ...
... and here is my little duckie baby blanket.
It measures 33 1/2" x 28" and has a moss stitch border. Perfect for a crib or a stroller or just for general snuggles.
I quite like ducks ... not quite as much as bunnies ... but they make me smile a lot. Can you believe it is nearly August? Where has the year gone?

24 comments:

LizzieJane said...

Your persistence paid off, it is just lovely, great job!

Kitty said...

Wonderful blanket! Really cute - such a good idea. Well done you. x

Twiggy said...

that is gorgeous, well done, lovely shade of blue!
Twiggy

Simone said...

You have done a fantastic job in designing and producing the blanket. I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Bumpkin Hill said...

wow you are really clever, I would not know where to start designing this pattern for knitting! too cute :) Thanks for popping by my blog and for your kind words of encouragement :) Catherine x

Laura Marie said...

this is sooo adorable!! i want one!! and by the way...i love the beatrix potter books...i stil have them all from when i was little :)

laura

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

That is the sweetest baby blanket!!! Love those little duckies in a row.

futuregirl said...

The ducks are very cute! I love them all in a row. You did a great job. It was totally worth the effort. :)

Kellie said...

It is absolutely eautiful Rachael! Almost makes me want another little person so that I could wrap him up in one of these!

Anonymous said...

wow...this is so great, worth all your time
Sharon

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous blanket! :)x

Anonymous said...

wow I love, it's very very nice !

Anonymous said...

That looks like a wonderful book and a real deal!

silverpebble said...

Gorgeous ducks - so charismatic. They look quite pourposeful - perhaps they're off to steal someone's picnic!

Louise said...

Really love the baby blanket. What a relief someone like you could give the book a new lease of life. x

Ragged Roses said...

That is a really lovely blanket, what gorgeous ducks!
Kimx

scj said...

I have just discovered your blog via Driftwood. What a delight! So many lovely creations. What a talent you have. I am only sorry that I missed the cupcake swap.
Thank you for all you are sharing.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

WOW - it is soooooo sweet. What an amazing job you have done, you must be thrilled!! =)

Jessica said...

That blanket is beautiful! I just love Beatrix Potter so much!

Hello Pineapples! said...

What a lovely blanket! I really like the moss stitch border. I've used moss stitch borders on some baby blanket projects in the past and I'm always happy with how it looks in the end.

Things Hand Made said...

What a beautiful blanket.

* elizabeth * said...

Oh my Lord, that is tooooo sweet!

Summer by the sea said...

It is really nice to see a baby blanket with pictures on instead of the usual lacy stuff - Its gorgeous - well done! - Natalie x

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

utterly adorable...