Friday, June 20, 2008

Introducing the Cupcake Crew and a Cupcake Tutorial

I'm so happy we have such a great bunch of people in the cupcake and tea swap (I hope I haven't forgotten anyone!) ...
And now, as requested, a little Cupcake Tutorial:
What you need:
1 x 5 ½” circle of felt
1 x 6 ½” circle of soft white cotton or flannel or something similar
some beads and or other decorations
cotton and needle for sewing
Small amount of polyfil or alternative stuffing
Optional:
Some pretty cotton material (a bright small print is better)
Fabric glue – I like Aleene’s Original Tacky glue
  1. If you have chosen to use a cotton fabric print as the outside of your cupcake case - glue your circles of felt to the pretty cotton material – remember to use enough glue and make sure you spread the glue right to the edge of the felt. Put to the side to dry a little (don’t let it dry too long as this might make the felt too stiff to work with).
  2. Sew a loose stitch along the outside of your 6 1/2 “ circle of cotton or flannel (I actually used some material I still had left over from the fake pashmina from Hong Kong.) Pull your thread to gather the edges of the circle ...... then stuff and sew shut. If you want to add a cherry to the top of your cupcake do this now – I tied a messy knot using red yarn.
  3. Once your glue is dry-ish cut out your felt circle OR you can use a brightly colored plain felt. Mark on the inside of the circle about ½ inch down a dot 16 times. Run a stitch through each dot.
  4. Pull your thread gathering the felt circle – do this slowly and encourage the felt to fold as you go.
  5. Pop your stuffed circle inside your wavy cupcake case and tie off the cupcake case thread. Adjust the cupcake case to make the folds even. I found that the end of a knitting needle was helpful here – but a chopstick or something similar would also work.
  6. Secure your cupcake to the cupcake cup using small stitches on the inside of the cupcake case.
  7. Now all there is left to do is decorate your cupcake with a selection of sparkles or anything you fancy. You might also want to run a thread from the top to the bottom to make sure your cake does not bulge too much ...… but the decoration and tweaking is all personal taste.
Now I have to go and make my cupcake themed goodie for the swap ... and no more talk of cupcakes for a while (unless I eat one and it is so good I have to share the sugary news with you!)

38 comments:

OzRose said...

Hi Rachael, still cant email you back via the normal email channels :( I would like to be included in the cupcake swap thanks. I will speak to a friend on the weekend to see whats up with emailing you.
Thanks
Valerie

driftwood said...

cute tutorial thankyou!
wow, how long did it take to make that list of links! - very impressive!

LizzieJane said...

Oh my goodness I am speechless over how many have entered the cupcake swap, that's terrific.
I love your cupcake tutorial, thanks for sharing.
Hugs
Kathy
x

Janaina said...

Cant believe how easy you make it looks! And the final result is just stunning! Very well done! Both thumbs up for ya!=D

Madi said...

Wonderful!! thanks

Kitty said...

They are fabulous Rachael! I'm so glad I requested a tutorial - consider it bookmarked, and I shall have a go at some point. Thank you!

Looking forward to seeing all the lovely cupcakey stuff that will result from your swap!

x

Lucykate Crafts... said...

what pretty little cakes, thank you for sharing, lovely idea : )

Anonymous said...

great tutorial, i think at the minute i have to many things on the go to do 'cupcake' any justice - maybe next time
have a lovely weekend
lisa x

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Thanks for the Tutorial Rachael! Those cupcakes look good enough to eat.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable Rachael! I can't wait to get my swap pal and read everyone's blogs.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I'm so excited about the swap. I've been designing away in my head all day. Time to start some sketching and planning I think. Thanks for organising it and the tutorial too.

Dyan said...

Great list of swappers for the cupcake swap Rachel and the cupcakes are cute. I think I'll try the tutorial tomorrow.
Dy

Anonymous said...

What cute cupcakes you made. And the swap sounds fun. If only I had stopped by a couple days sooner.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic tutorial there little bunny one! You have a fantastic line up for your swap. Hope everyone has a great time with it! Jen

Jane said...

Hi Rachel, Thank you for leaving me a comment. I found the knitting pattern central quite by accident and i have found several patterns there. There is also a sister site called crochet pattern central, which again i have found patterns there that i'd like to use. I like your cupcake tutorial might try making one in the summer holidays.
Jane

Kim said...

Oh my!! Those are darling! ANything cupcake catches my eye but these are REALLY cute!!
I might give it a try even though I dont sew:)!

Sandra :) said...

Utterly adorable - thanks for such a great tutorial!

Liz in Kansas said...

Those cupcakes look really yummy! I found your blog through the Craft Magazine site. Thank you for posting a tutorial - I will definitely be making some 0 calorie cupcakes soon!

P.S. If you get this comment twice, just delete one. Blogger is not my friend today!

Ally Jay said...

Yippee a tutorial. A very well written tutorial that even someone who is sewing machine challenged can follow. I promise my swap partner I will not sew your cupcake but I can't wait to have a try. May be this is my hidden talent.

Rhiannon said...

Thanks so much for posting this tutorial. I've been wanting to do something similar for my singing teacher for ages, but just haven't been able to figure out how!

Have fun with the cupcake swap, it sounds inspired!

Rhiannon :)

Louise said...

I hope all you girls enjoy your cupcake swap. It is really generous of you Rachael to share your cupcake tutorial with all of us. Maybe there is still hope for me yet! x

Hello Pineapples! said...

Great tutorial! I may have to whip up one of those next time I have a birthday party to attend. And I love your idea of a cupcake and tea swap. Sounds like fun.

Sherry said...

Oh, Thanks for the tutorial!! I've been wondering how you made those cupcake cups. They are so cute!! I love them!! Can't wait to get started on mine!!

Hugs,
Sherry

RG said...

Gorgeous Rachael :c)
Thanks for the 'food for thought'
tee hee

PaisleyJade said...

Thank you so much for posting this!! I just attempted my first one the other day (on my blog) but would love to try this!

bunzi said...

i love it! must try to make one. :D

LiEr said...

My first time visiting - came over from SMS. Those are adorable cupcakes! So cute! Argh! I must make one! I will put it on my project list. Thanks for the great tutorial!

If Wishes Had Wings... said...

These are really cute. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Laurie

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! thanks

Anonymous said...

I would like to be included in the cupcake swap, your cupcakes are really lovely,

hugs

Kristina

PS can you please email me with details how I can join in the cupcake swap. kristinahowells@msn.com

Vintage Girl/Marivel said...

I love it.
you are great!!
thanks

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

So so so cute!!!!!!

Dani-Ateliê Mil Pedras said...

Hi, I found this tutorial at bananacraft.com, and I loved it!
I started doing felt goodies and I don't have pratice and also love cupcakes!
This tutorial is perfect! So easy to undestand! Thank you for share!
Kisses, Dani.

shanna said...

Love your cupcakes!
I have enjoyed your site, swing by and visit me @ http://www.mommiesandbeyond.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, they are so cute! I'm thinking about doing cupcakes like these for my friend's birthday, since she's on a diet and doesn't eat sweets :)

Amanda said...

Simply adorable! We made a bakery basket full of sweets for a toddler and I posted about it. I used your tutorial as an inspiration for my cupcakes, and am posting a link to this page. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2011/12/diy-handmade-gifts-for-toddlers-are-as.html

Kreasi Flanel said...

Wow, this is some nice tutorial, step by step that made this cupcake easy to follow. Thank's again for this tutorial

cheekybaby said...

Thanks for your useful info,it will surely help me to increase blog readers.
Handmade gifts for newborns