Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Memorial Quilt: Fallen Soldier

I have been working on a memorial quilt for the daughter of a Colonel who lost his life while serving in Iraq. 


When I received the box of clothes I was more than moved at the items that I had been sent. Included in the box was his favorite shirt (a red, white & blue Ralph Lauren cotton shirt), his camouflage jacket, a blue polo shirt and his dress uniform - in which he walked his daughter down the aisle when he gave her away at her wedding (black dress jacket & blue trousers with gold ribbon stripe.)



The quilt pattern is a Lone Star - which I think can be a very majestic pattern.



 

 There are feather swags between the points of the stars.


Each star point is made from the gold ribbed ribbon that went down the side of the dress pants. 


If there were any fabric remains the family had asked for a pillow or a doll. We had enough fabric for both. The pillow has many of the patches that I took off the camouflage jacket. The doll is made from some of the camouflage jacket and shirt material. Her hat is made from a cuff from the camouflage jacket and I added some gold buttons from the black dress jacket. My girls were cuckoo over this doll and kept coming to ask where the doll was, to stare at her AND asking when they would get a doll too.




The backing is flannel and the batting is wool. Even with the dense quilting the quilt was not stiff. Here is a shot of the back of the quilt for those of us who are obsessed with seeing the back of a quilt too!


Once the quilt was folded up ready to go home it looked so regal - I felt quite overwhelmed. I do hope that the family love it.


7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Amazing job - I'm sure they will LOVE it!

driftwood said...

oh Rachael it's beautiful x

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Rachael. It's Beautiful -- what a wonderful tribute!

Frank said...

As a retired military member with my wife and daughter having their own quilting business, I can say that you've caught the essence of what it is to be in the military. Many would over power this with the camo. But we wear many uniforms for different things. We are proudest when we stand in front of the world in our dress uniform, for these are reserved for special occasions.
You have done a great service to the soldier and his family. The quilt is lovely, the quilting is outstanding. To me, it is one of the most spectacular memorial quilts I've ever seen. Thank you.

Michele said...

Wow. Just wow. As Frank said above, you've done a beautiful job making treasured heirlooms for the family. Very nicely done.

Kathleen said...

This just takes my breath away . . . beautiful work. They will love it.

Lynn said...

The quilt is amazing and the family will cherish it and the memories it holds.