Monday, August 18, 2014

Kids Outdoor Activity: Hedgerow Hair


We have been in the UK visiting family & friends. It is a tough job to travel transatlantic with 3 small children under 5 - away from their routine, toys and home comforts. Not to mention my withdrawal from my beloved Bernie & Freddie.



Crippling homesickness also returns whenever I travel to the UK. One forgets how beautiful the UK is and other important things like how delicious Jammie Dodgers and Jaffa Cakes are!

I know the kids will be so happy to return home to all their toys - but I do dream of a much simpler life where we don't have a room full of plastic toys and where the pressures of a consumer society are more removed. (I am a mild hermit at heart!) But truth be told - my kids are kids and they love toys!

So for two weeks we have been entertaining the kids without many of the things we utilize at home. And yet again I'm blown away by the kids imagination and ability to amuse themselves with little to no toys within their reach. For example I never knew collecting eggs from chickens would be such a highlight for them.


And I was really amazed by this idea that my eldest came up with. I have to admit that she wanted to be like Rapunzel in the Tangled movie - but the title of 'Hedgerow Hair ' appealed to me more.

Basic premise:

Go for a nice walk in the countryside ....


.... spend a longtime throwing stones into a stream ....



.... pick lots of wild flowers along the way and stick them in your hair.


It was so simple yet had them entertained for a VERY long time.

(If you don't have the countryside hedgerows easily available to you - like us in the US - letting your kid pick and use the flowers in your yard will provide the same experience and delight for your children!)

1 comment:

Thimbleanna said...

Oh how fun -- and how lucky to be in England! The Hedgerow Hair is brilliant!