Thursday, December 18, 2008

Stippling Success

Back in September I made two pledges - to improve my knitting skills and to conquer free motion quilting. Well say hello to some free motion quilting ... ... I don't know what came over me ... I sat down, took a deep breath and voila. Some successful stippling! Free motion quilting has totally alluded me since I got Bernie - in fact it sent waves of fear down my spine and while I know I have a long way to go before I perfect this technique ... hopefully I'm on the right track now.

If the idea of donning your darning foot, dropping your feed dogs and wiggling your fabric about to make pretty squiggles fills your tummy with dread - my two biggest tips would be
1) keep your speed down - I found a medium speed on my machine much easier to cope with and
2) what ever you do don't panic! (I think all that deep breathing I've been doing in prenatal yoga is beginning to have a positive affect me!
)

I had a pretty tough day yesterday (translate to: I was an inconsolable hormonal grump) but as it turned out - I just really needed a long nap. By evening I was frustrated at having had such an unproductive day so I decided to do something thoroughly untaxing - but useful - I organized my material scrap box. When we moved I tried to be sensible about what crafting supplies to bring into the city. In particular I wanted to try and use up those little fabric remnants we crafters all end up with. I organized the scraps into colors and textures ... and found that I had a delightful little pile of pretty silk scraps left over from a very special Christmas Tree Skirt I had conjured up last year.

So I am happy to report that today has been more productive. I sewed all the silk scraps together ... ... layered the scraps with some batting and cotton ... and proceeded to attack the layers with my new found stippling skills.I have had my beady bunnie eyes on just about every project in Sew Pretty Homestyle - but the project I have most wanted to make is the makeup case. I've never made a little pouch with a zip before - and I can think of hundreds of uses, gift ideas, occasions when knowing how to make something like this would be perfect. I'm about as scared of zips as I am of free motion quilting but I rose to the challenge (I think) using my new calm yoga affected persona (ha! as if!)

16 comments:

Lappesola said...

Yes! You can do it. From now on you can just play on.
And you can practise on paper. Whenever I'm bored (or stuck in a meeting or something) I pick up my pen and fill my paper with one continous line drawing, thinking I'm sewing.

And when sewing, use glowes with little rubber dots on. (the cheap ones from the garden senter works just as good as the overprized from the quilt shop). They give you a good firm grip. I cannot quilt without mine.

Good luck!

Hugs from Sol

driftwood said...

love that little purse, I've avoided everything with zips so far, but maybe if you can do it so can I.....
your free motion looks fantastic, the demonstator I saw on Wednesday advised going slowly, and keeping tension across the fabric. keep practising, I want to see more!!!

Anonymous said...

I think pregnancy definately agrees with your craftiness -- little bag looks lovely :-)
Lisa x

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous little pouch, it looks great. Wonderful quilting, the yoga's working!

silverpebble said...

That pouch is just gorgeous - and stash busting too! Well done on the stunning stippling - bit of a tongue twister for you there!

hetty said...

Great stippling! I love your little make-up case. The zipper looks professional.

Lily Boot said...

oooh lovely Rachael - you're so right about the free motion - you just have to start - and you see yourself getting better with each square! Now zips - I must need some prenatal yoga because I cannot even consider a zip for an instant - ugh! shivers down my spine! The make up bag is beautiful - what a wonderful use of scraps and wibbly quilting!

Bumpkin Hill said...

fabulous bag Rachael, I remember trying this years ago, it was fun :) I'll have to give it another go and take lots of deep breaths! As for zips they scare me! That bag looks so professional :) I just posted the first chapter of my story on my blog if you want to take a peek :) Hugs, Catherine xx

Things Hand Made said...

That pouch looks lovely. I am just about to sit down with the christmas book of sew pretty homstyle and see if I can get something done before the big day!

Indigo Blue said...

This is delightful! Amazing what can be made from scraps. Rubbish to others but gold to us.
XX

Sarah said...

Oh wow Rachael! You can turn your hand to anything! You clever little Mum to be :) Love it all.

Hugs, Sarah x

Kyoko said...

Perfect!! Looks wonderful. The curved opening makes it high quality :D. Did you saw free hand? I am inspired!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Your little purse turned out beautifully! I have long lamented the fact that I don't quilt. Maybe someday I'll figure it out :). Happy holidays.

Jenny said...

I love this little bag and I am sooooooo impressed that you can stipple!!! I tried it and it went like this. I put my child down to sleep and sat at my sewing machine, calm and focused. I attached the foot I needed and dropped the feed dogs. And set about teaching myself the afore mentioned skills. 45 minutes later I was almost a crying mess. Covered in thread and ready to throw my beloved machine out the window was how my husband found me. He was sure that it couldn't be too hard. Surely. So he sat down and within two minutes he had used the machine to write my name in a lovely little script....I gave him a look that I'm sure said it all and have never attached that foot again! So my hat's off to you bunny girl! Jen

Knit Sew City Girl said...

Well done for conquering your fear of free motion. I've got the Sew Pretty Book but haven't tried making anything from it, but now I might try in the new year.

Mary

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

wow wee your a natural...

love the hormonal grump... may be I should have a nap when I get like that...