Thursday, October 9, 2008

Back in the Sewing Seat

So I have moved back to the Big Apple - and all the bunnies in the Rachael Rabbit workshop were feeling a bit like this on moving day ...
... it was a sad sad day - but now I have set up Bernie in a corner of the flat and I everything is neatly stored in boxes so that my husband doesn't go mad with all the mess of having my very very important crafting stuff scattered around.

I can not tell you how good it feels to be back in 'the sewing seat' so to speak. I've been so distracted from crafting projects by packing and the move - the lack of creation in my life was beginning to really get to me. I've just finished another quilted play mat / wall hanging.I spent a quite some time on the detail of this one - the little felt flowers and the light shining through the castle windows. My husband exclaimed that he thought it was one of my best - I'm not sure - I am getting better at the whole sewing thing - or at least I'm now managing to control the sewing machine a little!
I even became brave and added little embossed hearts to the border - I would really love to learn how to free motion quilt one day.
I'm still knitting away at my second cable blanket - the wedding is in early November - so sadly I don't think it will be finished in time. The skeins are just enormous - I'm on only on the 2nd - only another 4 or 5 to go ... my little knitting hands might fall off!

I realized that I have been living in the US for 5 years now. 5 years - I can't believe it - that is about 1/6th of my life - time goes by so incredibly quickly - which reminds me that I lots of work I need to get back to. Hurrah for crafting - I seriously love it ;-)

10 comments:

Anne Sutton said...

Big applause for the new quilt! It's darling! Hope the bunnies like it in your new flat. I love your "photo" of the bunny tail. How creative is that!

April said...

Glad the move went ok, that play mat is gorgeous

April xx

hetty said...

I know what you mean by needing to be creative to keep sane! It's a very important part of life! Glad your move went well. The quilt is lovely! And the on-going blanket will get done eventually. Just don't let your fingers fall off! How creative will you be if that happens?

Nanette Merrill said...

What cute fairy tale quilts. Love them.

Bethany said...

I'm not sure where you moved from but welcome to the east coast!! Although I live in Lancaster, PA which really isn't the coast, we frequently drive into NYC. Your play mat/wall hanging is beautiful! You are a wonderful sewer! And your cabled blanket is SOO impressive!! I'm in awe of your talent! Hope you settle in quickly and easily!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the Fairy Tale quilt - the detailing on the castle is magical!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you got there safe and sound Bunny Girl! I have been thinking about you. I hope you are very happy in your new home. You newest quilting creation is nothing short of perfect. I would expect nothing less! Jen

Kitty said...

I agree with your husband - it's a lovely quilt!

I hope you have lots of happy years in your new home, and that you get to do lots of crafting there! x

Lappesola said...

I love your little quilt.
About free motion quilting there's just one thing to say: Jump into it! Full speed on the machine and slow motions with your arms. Use glows to get a better grip. Practise on a non important piece, and imagine that your drawing.
Good luck.

Hugs from Sol

Clothmatters said...

Your blog and play mats are adorable!
Connie